About Eat Like Me

Hi everyone! Welcome to the Eat Like Me blog! I'm Emma- a Nutrition major & kind of a health nut! I'm really into eating healthy & nourishing my body. It amazes me how much food can really affect your life and change the way you feel. I've been into healthy eating since I was a teen and I wanted to share my interest with all of you! I'll admit that I have days when I do not make the best food choices but my goal is to just get back on track and stay healthy as often as I can. Of course, eating healthy doesn't mean I don't get to enjoy my food. There are lots of flavorful, healthy foods & recipes, and even desserts! On this blog I will share with you what I eat, along with recipes & pictures. You could use my blog as a guide to healthy eating, or just for recipes and ideas!

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Hot Cocoa (breakfast 11.11.10)

Happy Veterans Day everyone! Thank god for this holiday, I really needed the day off today. I have a lot of cleaning to catch up on and some work to get done. It also gives me a chance to blog again since I haven't had much time to post lately. Breakfast this morning was a nice warm bowl of oatmeal. Somebody must have eaten my organic oatmeal so I had a packet of Kashi Go Lean Hearty Honey Cinnamon Oatmeal instead, and topped it with raisins & almond slivers. I like that the Go Lean oatmeal has extra fiber & protein to keep you going longer, but I prefer the short, simple ingredient list of my usual Erewhon organic oatmeal. I also ate a banana to get some fruit in, and made myself a cup of hot cocoa. I didn't really want coffee this morning, but the cold weather really put me in the mood for some hot chocolate. I don't buy the packets of hot chocolate since they're more junk than anything, so I experimented in making my own. I put 2 tablespoons of Hershey's Unsweetened Cocoa (did you know cocoa is good for you!?) and three packets of Splenda into a mug, and then added boiling water & 1/4 cup of skim milk. It didn't come out bad, and I actually enjoyed it, but I'll probably
make some changes the next time I make it. I think I'd use more milk & less water to make it a bit more creamy, and since I'm not fond of artificial sweeteners (It was all I had in the house today), I'd try using Erythritol or a little organic cane sugar to sweeten it instead of Splenda. Hopefully after a little more experimenting I'll get the recipe just right so I can share it with all of you! For my mid-morning snack I had Luna Iced Oatmeal Raisin Bar along with a string cheese. I noticed recently that I don't always eat enough dairy products. Calcium is important, so I'm going to make more of an effort to get all my servings in.

No comments:

Post a Comment