About Eat Like Me

Hi everyone! Welcome to the Eat Like Me blog! I'm Emma- a Nutrition major & kind of a health nut! I'm really into eating healthy & nourishing my body. It amazes me how much food can really affect your life and change the way you feel. I've been into healthy eating since I was a teen and I wanted to share my interest with all of you! I'll admit that I have days when I do not make the best food choices but my goal is to just get back on track and stay healthy as often as I can. Of course, eating healthy doesn't mean I don't get to enjoy my food. There are lots of flavorful, healthy foods & recipes, and even desserts! On this blog I will share with you what I eat, along with recipes & pictures. You could use my blog as a guide to healthy eating, or just for recipes and ideas!

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Skim Milk vs. Almond Milk (breakfast 11.16.10)

Good morning everyone! Tuesdays are usually a busy day for me, so I made sure I went to bed early last night so I wouldn't be tired today. I actually slept really well and I woke up feeling refreshed and ready to take on the day! I started my morning off with a bowl of cereal, a banana, and some coffee. The cereal was a combination of Nature's Path Smart Bran & Flax Plus Cereals with skim milk. It was nice to have this cereal mixture again considering I hadn't been able to find the Smart Bran for some time. With 13g of fiber per serving, it's such a nice way to start my day off right. Now since I have some extra time this morning, I thought I'd answer a question I was recently asked. The question is how often do I use Skim Milk vs. Almond Milk. Well, since they're both healthy options, I try to mix it up as often as I can. However their nutritional information do play a role in my decision from day to day. The Skim Milk I buy (Farmland Dairies Skim Plus) contains 110 calories per cup, as well as 11g of protein. The Unsweetened Almond Milk on the other hand, contains only 40 calories per cup, but only 1g of protein. So basically, my choice usually depends on the situation and the kind of cereal I'm eating. For instance, if I'm eating a high-protein cereal, like Kashi Go Lean, than I'll use Almond Milk since I don't necessarily need the extra protein from the milk. However, if I'm eating a cereal that isn't very high in protein, like today's, than I'll use Skim Milk to add protein and balance out the meal. Other times, I'll use Almond Milk if I'm trying to save calories, or Skim Milk if my dairy intake is low and I need the calcium. They both taste pretty much the same to me, so taste isn't really a factor, my decision is usually based on my meal as a whole. Since I like to switch up my cereals, I often switch up my milk as well. I'm sure you've heard the saying, a varied diet is a healthy diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment