About Eat Like Me

Hi everyone! Welcome to the Eat Like Me blog! I'm Emma- a Nutrition major & kind of a health nut! I'm really into eating healthy & nourishing my body. It amazes me how much food can really affect your life and change the way you feel. I've been into healthy eating since I was a teen and I wanted to share my interest with all of you! I'll admit that I have days when I do not make the best food choices but my goal is to just get back on track and stay healthy as often as I can. Of course, eating healthy doesn't mean I don't get to enjoy my food. There are lots of flavorful, healthy foods & recipes, and even desserts! On this blog I will share with you what I eat, along with recipes & pictures. You could use my blog as a guide to healthy eating, or just for recipes and ideas!

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Kashi Frozen Entree Review

Sometimes I don't always get a chance to blog all my meals and share everything I eat, but even still, I would like to share with you some of the frozen entrees I try and how they rate. Kashi is one of my favorite brands so any time I see something new, I love to give it a try. All their products are all-natural, made with wholesome ingredients, and packed with nutrition. Here's a few frozen meals of theirs that I have recently tried:

Kashi Tuscan Veggie Bake:
Kashi strikes again with another delicious, healthy product. This time it's a tasty, vegetarian take on lasagna. It's loaded with veggies, whole grains, and like all Kashi products, made with great, all-natural ingredients. The noodles, which stayed moist thanks to a zesty tomato basil sauce, were made from Kashi's seven whole grain blend and were the perfect consistency. I really enjoyed the savory, slightly spicy sauce, and the sun-dried tomatoes really gave it a "Tuscan" kick. Sandwiched between the lasagna noodles were large bits of yellow squash, eggplant, onions, and sweet potato which blended well together for a great, unique flavor. Another interesting addition to the dish were the lentils that help this meal provide eight grams of fiber and seven grams of protein. This dish was a bit high in sodium, coming in at 700 mg. But since it's paired with such great taste and wholesome nutrition, I let it slide. Each entree has only 260 calories which is impressive when you consider the generous serving size. Overall, this meal won itself a place on my list of favorites and I'll definitely be purchasing it again. For more click here.

Kashi Pesto Pasta Primavera
Kashi's Pesto Pasta Primavera dish is a warm blend of yellow carrots, sweet red peppers, and peas served over 7 Whole Grain penne pasta with a basil pesto sauce and shredded Parmesan cheese. When I looked at the back of the Pesto Pasta Primavera package, the ingredients were easy to understand and as with all Kashi products, there wasn't anything on that list I didn't recognize. For a pasta dish, I was surprised to find out it has 11 grams of protein. It also has 7g of fiber, and out of the 11g of fat, only 2g are saturated. The sodium level was a little high clocking in at 790 mg, but not over the top high, so I let it slide. The meal packs in lots of nutrition with wholesome whole grains and colorful vegetables. The serving size was also very filling with lots of pasta and plenty of crisp, fresh-tasting veggies. There was  a surprisingly large amount of sauce, so I'm not really sure how Kashi managed to make this meal with only 290 calories, but I won't question their mastery. Overall, the dish was very creamy, flavorful, and quite enjoyable. I liked this meal so I would probably buy it again in the future, just not on a regular basis. For more, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment