About Eat Like Me

Hi everyone! Welcome to the Eat Like Me blog! I'm Emma- a Nutrition major & kind of a health nut! I'm really into eating healthy & nourishing my body. It amazes me how much food can really affect your life and change the way you feel. I've been into healthy eating since I was a teen and I wanted to share my interest with all of you! I'll admit that I have days when I do not make the best food choices but my goal is to just get back on track and stay healthy as often as I can. Of course, eating healthy doesn't mean I don't get to enjoy my food. There are lots of flavorful, healthy foods & recipes, and even desserts! On this blog I will share with you what I eat, along with recipes & pictures. You could use my blog as a guide to healthy eating, or just for recipes and ideas!

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Product Worth Mentioning- Almond Milk (9.22.10)

I'm sure you've seen it on the shelves, but have never even considered buying it. How could they make milk from almonds, right? Well, Almond Milk is not really milk in a literal sense, it's basically a milky drink made from ground almonds and water. It sounded weird to me at first too, I was very skeptical when I first heard of it. But I can say from personal experience, that Almond Milk is actually really good, and in my opinion is the best cow's milk alternative out there.
I used to be a vegan, so I couldn't drink cow's milk. I tried Rice Milk first, it was too watery and way to sweet. Then came Soy Milk, which tasted good, but too much soy can cause hormone imbalances, so I passed on that too. Finally, I came across Almond Milk. I had read about it and heard that it was good for you, so I decided to try it. To me it tasted very similar to the fortified skim milk (Skim Plus) I had been drinking for years, and was in fact even a little bit creamier. So far it has been a great cow's milk substitute in just about everything. The only time I don't like Almond Milk is in my coffee. It doesn't mix well with coffee for some reason.
Apart from it's great taste, Almond Milk has a lot of nutritional benefits. I'm sure you've heard all about how great almonds are for you. For instance, they contain healthy unsaturated fats, and are great for weight loss & maintenance, lowering cholesterol, and contain lots of necessary vitamins and minerals (vitamin E, zinc, magnesium, potassium, & more). Not to mention that 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk has only 40 calories! It's also a good option for lactose intolerant people because it is lactose free. I am no longer a vegan, so I do use cow's milk again, but I like to switch it up with my Almond Milk. With such a great taste and a number of health benefits, why stop using it?
I would definitely recommend that you try Almond Milk. It doesn't mean you have to give up cow's milk, you can use both! Although if you're going to buy Almond Milk, it's best to buy fortified brands so that you still get your calcium and vitamin D. You can buy sweetened or unsweetened, and it even comes in Vanilla & Chocolate flavors!

No comments:

Post a Comment