About Eat Like Me

Hi everyone! Welcome to the Eat Like Me blog! I'm Emma- a Nutrition major & kind of a health nut! I'm really into eating healthy & nourishing my body. It amazes me how much food can really affect your life and change the way you feel. I've been into healthy eating since I was a teen and I wanted to share my interest with all of you! I'll admit that I have days when I do not make the best food choices but my goal is to just get back on track and stay healthy as often as I can. Of course, eating healthy doesn't mean I don't get to enjoy my food. There are lots of flavorful, healthy foods & recipes, and even desserts! On this blog I will share with you what I eat, along with recipes & pictures. You could use my blog as a guide to healthy eating, or just for recipes and ideas!

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

100% Whole Wheat Pretzels (breakfast 10.20.10)

I didn't get much sleep last night, so waking up today was rough. I would've loved to have slept in and stayed in bed, but instead I was up at 6am for work. I had a quick bowl of cereal, a banana and a big cup of coffee to wake me up. The cereal was again a mixture of Kashi Go Lean and Kashi Go Lean Honey Almond Flax with unsweetened almond milk. I knew I wouldn't get a chance to have lunch until 2 today, so I packed a couple things to hold me over. There was no way I was going 8 hours without eating (breakfast at 6, lunch at 2). I brought one of my individual packages of Trader Joe's Go Raw Trail Mix (almonds, walnuts, cashews, hazelnuts, and raisins), and a little baggy of Trader Joe's Whole Grain Pretzel Sticks. What I love about these Trader Joe’s pretzel sticks is that they are made with 100% whole wheat. 100% whole wheat pretzels are very hard to come by, so when I saw these, I had to pick them up. These pretzels are not as good as my favorite Snyder's Snaps, but they're not bad either. Regular pretzels are considered empty calories because they simply provide no nutrition. These however have 3 grams of fiber and protein per serving, and can be counted towards your servings of whole grains. Whole wheat is also absorbed slower, so in addition to keeping you full longer, these pretzels won't spike your blood sugar. The size of each stick is not too shabby either. It’s like the size of my finger, both in length and width. They're great for dipping, and if you add some kind of protein, you've got yourself a healthy snack. The only thing I didn't like was that Corn Syrup was listed in the ingredients. There's less than 1 gram of sugar per serving, so the amount of Corn Syrup is probably trivial, but I still don't understand why it needs to be added at all. Anyhow, I'm glad I found a whole wheat pretzel that I like. Now I can replace my usual enriched white flour pretzels with a healthier 100% whole wheat version!

No comments:

Post a Comment