About Eat Like Me

Hi everyone! Welcome to the Eat Like Me blog! I'm Emma- a Nutrition major & kind of a health nut! I'm really into eating healthy & nourishing my body. It amazes me how much food can really affect your life and change the way you feel. I've been into healthy eating since I was a teen and I wanted to share my interest with all of you! I'll admit that I have days when I do not make the best food choices but my goal is to just get back on track and stay healthy as often as I can. Of course, eating healthy doesn't mean I don't get to enjoy my food. There are lots of flavorful, healthy foods & recipes, and even desserts! On this blog I will share with you what I eat, along with recipes & pictures. You could use my blog as a guide to healthy eating, or just for recipes and ideas!

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Vegetarian Chili (Dinner 9.12.10)

It's been a little chilly out, so I decided to make some chili for dinner, get it? HA! I made my own version of Vegetarian Chili using whatever I had in the house, which happened to only be Pinto beans and Black beans. I had it with some corn tortilla chips & a little cheese. Very filling, but satisfying meal!
Here's the recipe I used:

Vegetarian Pinto & Black Bean Chili
Serves: 1 (Double or Triple recipe as needed to serve more)
 
Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup black beans
  • 1/2 cup pinto beans
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 2 tbsp chopped onion
  • 1 large garlic clove
  • 1 small tomato, diced
  • 4 medium baby carrots
  • 1 large celery stalk
  • 1 1/2 tbsp chopped red pepper
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1/8 tsp spanish paprika
  • 1/8 tsp cumin
  • 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/8 tsp salt
Directions:
  1. Heat the oil in a small non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, celery, red pepper and carrots. Cook for 5-10 minutes, until lightly browned.
  2. In a pot combine all other ingredients and bring to a light boil. Once it reaches a boil, lower the heat to low.
  3. Add the sauteed vegetables to the pot, mix all ingredients & cover. Let simmer on low heat for 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Information: (Not including cheese & chips)
Serves 1
Calories: 312, Total Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 477mg, Carbohydrates: 53g, Fiber: 16g, Sugar: 7g, Protein: 15g

No comments:

Post a Comment