About Eat Like Me

Hi everyone! Welcome to the Eat Like Me blog! I'm Emma- a Nutrition major & kind of a health nut! I'm really into eating healthy & nourishing my body. It amazes me how much food can really affect your life and change the way you feel. I've been into healthy eating since I was a teen and I wanted to share my interest with all of you! I'll admit that I have days when I do not make the best food choices but my goal is to just get back on track and stay healthy as often as I can. Of course, eating healthy doesn't mean I don't get to enjoy my food. There are lots of flavorful, healthy foods & recipes, and even desserts! On this blog I will share with you what I eat, along with recipes & pictures. You could use my blog as a guide to healthy eating, or just for recipes and ideas!

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Tomato, Basil & Red Pepper Barley Salad (Dinner 9.23.10)

Since school started, I've been completely forgetting about my garden! Today I noticed I had A LOT of basil & quite a few tomatoes ready to be picked. I decided to make a tomato, basil and red pepper barley salad to use up some of the veggies. I was going to just make it tomato & basil, but I had a red pepper in the fridge that was going to go bad if I didn't use it, so I added that in too. It was really quick & easy to make. I'll definitely experiment with more barley salad recipes in the future since I just love the taste of barley. If you're a fan of basil, this recipe is for you! If not, skip this one and hang around for my next barley recipe! I only made 1 serving for myself and used it as a side dish to my dinner. You could double the recipe and have the salad as your meal (would be an easy lunch to bring to work), or have it as a side like I did. With the salad, I had a Morning Star tomato & basil pizza veggie burger (seemed appropriate) and steamed asparagus.
Tomato, Basil & Red Pepper Barley Salad

Serves: 1 (double or triple as needed to serve more)
Ingredients: 
  • 1/4 cup (dry) Pearled Barley
  • 1/2 small tomato, diced
  • 3 tbsp chopped red bell pepper
  • about 8 small fresh basil leaves, chopped
  • 1/2 tsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp red wine vinegar
  • 1/8 tsp salt and a dash pepper
Directions:
  1. Cook Barley according to directions.
  2. Meanwhile, chop the tomato, pepper & basil.
  3. When the barley is finished cooking, drain any excess water and add to chopped ingredients.
  4. Then add the oil, vinegar, salt, pepper and mix well.
  5. Cover & refrigerate until chilled.
  6. Then serve!
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Serving Size: 1 recipe
Calories: 195, Total Fat: 3g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 278mg, Carbohydrates: 35g, Dietary Fiber: 10g, Sugar: 3g, Protein: 5g

No comments:

Post a Comment