About Eat Like Me

Hi everyone! Welcome to the Eat Like Me blog! I'm Emma- a Nutrition major & kind of a health nut! I'm really into eating healthy & nourishing my body. It amazes me how much food can really affect your life and change the way you feel. I've been into healthy eating since I was a teen and I wanted to share my interest with all of you! I'll admit that I have days when I do not make the best food choices but my goal is to just get back on track and stay healthy as often as I can. Of course, eating healthy doesn't mean I don't get to enjoy my food. There are lots of flavorful, healthy foods & recipes, and even desserts! On this blog I will share with you what I eat, along with recipes & pictures. You could use my blog as a guide to healthy eating, or just for recipes and ideas!

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Chicken fajita (dinner 9.30.10)

For a snack this afternoon I had a toasted whole wheat English muffin with peanut butter on one half & jelly on the other. I used Teddie's All Natural Peanut butter with Flaxseed & Polaner All Fruit Grape Jelly. I like this jelly because there is no added sugar, it's made from fruit & fruit juice concentrate only. I also like this peanut butter because the flaxseed adds a nutritional boost without altering the flavor. Flaxseed naturally has a nutty flavor so it blends well with peanut butter.

For dinner tonight I made myself a chicken fajita. I had never made one from scratch before, so I was surprised at how good it turned out. I expected it to be a hard meal to make but it was in fact really quick & easy, not to mention healthy. All I did was throw the ingredients in a pan, saute & serve.
  1. To make it, I cut up a medium chicken breast (I used a Perdue Perfect Portion All Natural Chicken Breast) and put in a non stick skillet along with 1/2 a tbsp of olive oil, about 2/3 cup of mixed onions, red, yellow & green bell peppers (I used Trader Joe's frozen fire roasted bell peppers & onions- see picture), 1/8 tsp of chili powder, 1/8 tsp ground cumin, about 2 wedges worth of lime juice and about 1/2 tsp of garlic salt. 
  2. I then sauteed all the ingredients on high heat for about 5-7 minutes until the chicken was cooked through. 
  3. Then I put it on a large multi-grain tortilla, wrapped it up & enjoyed! Yum!
I'm really glad I found a new dish I like that is easy enough to throw together on a busy school night. You'll definitely be seeing chicken fajitas for dinner again. To make this dish for more people, simply double or triple the above ingredients as needed. The amount I used could make 1 large fajita or 2 small.

No comments:

Post a Comment